Saturday, May 24, 2008

Tested and Conquered!!

Sam's Tale:
I wish you could have seen my girl Lolo today.  We had a field trip to Lowe's to practice handling our dogs in a busy public place.  Lowe's was so crowded!! One lady even had a little yappy dog with her.  Do you know what?  When my girl Lolo walked beside her, she didn't even look at that little dog who was lunging at her!!!  Way to go Girl!! We gave her lots of lovin' for that.  I also learned today that Lolo can play fetch so well with me.  Her energy really makes me laugh!  Also, when my mom says "UP", Lolo will pick up an object (like my cup) off the floor, put her front paws on my wheelchair tray, and give me the item from the floor.  Is she smart or what???

Amy's Tale:
Wow, I can't believe a week has gone by and I am finally having the opportunity to write something!!  It has been great and exhausting.  Kind of like running a very long race.  Seeing Sam's reactions to his dog has made it all worthwhile.! He is vocalizing to the dog, initiating petting, and most importantly smiling and laughing all the time.  We have a group of nine families getting dogs.  Amazingly, all seemed to get matched with the dog that fitted their personality.  Canine Companions is a fantastic organization and very thorough in their training.  I am amazed at all that goes in to breeding, raising, training, and then the matching process.  Lolo is a cross between a yellow lab and golden retriever and the perfect combination of love, obedience, and fun.  I am looking forward to getting to know her more and watching her relationship with Sam grow.  Tomorrow we have a break so we are going to go to the beach (without Lolo - not allowed to yet) and then seek out some good seafood.  


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sam, Lolo, and Mom.
I love your blog! When will Lolo be able to go to the beach with you? Papa, daddy, and I might go to Indiana Jones with the BRAZILIANS.

Love,
Sarah

Sam said...

Good mornin sister Sarah,
Lolo will be able to go out with us to public places like the beach after next Saturday when she and Sam graduate. A few kids here saw Indiana Jones and loved it. They said it was a little scary. Have fun.
Love and miss you!
Sam, Mom, and Lolo

Anonymous said...

ear Sam, Amy, Grandma and Lolo:
This is so awesome! Love the pictures. Is Lolo a puppy and will she grow larger? Great to hear about the training - Lowes/"UP" - and the Sam lap sitting is wonderful. Can't wait to see Lolo and Sam in action!
Love,
Mark & Deb

Emily said...

Hi, Amy, Sam, Grandma Weyrich and Lolo,

Thanks so much for keeping us updated with the blog! Lolo looks like such a sweet dog -- we love the lab/golden retriever mix. That is what my dad's dog Solomon is, and he is so loving. We especially love the picture of Sam hugging Lolo on his lap -- you can tell they both already love each other. Mom and Rob are going to be in town next weekend, helping us fix up our new house. If you are still down in San Diego and there is a graduation ceremony or anything like that, we would love to come down and see you all (only if it would work well for you all, as well). Much love! Emily, Jamie and Vigo

Anonymous said...

Sam!
Did you get my message? I miss you, buddy! It sounds like you are having a great time. I keep showing everyone the pictures of you and Lolo, I am showing my parents right now (and my dogs are right here, too) and I even showed some strangers at the coffee shop because I am so happy for you!
xoxo
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Dear Sam,
Papa misses you very much. He can't wait to see you when you get home with your new dog!


Love,
Papa
Sarah typed for him

Anonymous said...

Sam and Amy, wow, your new dog is really cool! Gabe and I can't wait to meet Lola. Sam, I can't believe that big Lola sat on your lap. You crazy guy. Love, Michelle, Gabe's mom